Canadian Tax Compliance Logo

E-commerce Services

Import goods into Canada without stress
and improve your overall cross-border trade
experience with Main Street Management.

Business Registration

We set you up with all the licenses you need. We register you as an NRI, And set you up for GST/HST/PST Accounts, get you a BN, and help you apply for relevant business licenses to make sure you are able to do business all throughout Canada.

Seller Central Setup

We don’t just provide you with the required accounts and numbers to start selling in Canada. We also help you incorporate them into your E-commerce platform to be sure that there are no mistakes with your setup.

Due Date Deadlines

Meeting deadlines can be a real challenge. We handle your filing periods, prepare your returns, and file them by their filing deadlines at required intervals in the relevant jurisdictions. You never have to keep track of any tax filing due date.

Taxable Expenses

We keep track of your taxable expenses, sales tax already paid by import and whatever Canadian expense you had with GST, which they can all be reimbursed. Just send in your payments as soon as you get them, relax and we take care of the rest. It’s that easy

Filing Validation

We review all the tax information and reports you provide before we go ahead and file your sales tax. We pay attention to each and every detail to make sure that your filing is completely accurate, legitimate, and satisfies all the filing requirements of the authorities.

Payment Guidance

When payments are due to the various government agencies, we advise and guide you by providing you with the relevant account information. And we are on top of your GST and PST accounts to be sure that the payments were routed to the accurate accounts.


After each filing, we give you a detailed report with your sales and all taxes
paid to the Canadian government
agencies to hold for record keeping purposes in case you need them in the future. You can also get them from us at any given time if you happen to misplace it or lose it, We keep all your records and financial documents securely.

Government Correspondence

We act as a liaison between our clients and the Canadian government
authorities, Our experienced team of highly skilled, professional individuals handles all questions, letters, or inquiries the Canadian authorities may have
or send throughout the year about filing submissions, payments made or other related activities.

Year-Round Support

To inspire trust and confidence, we keep you informed of every step we take until we have obtained all the accounts, numbers, and IDs you need to start selling on the Canadian E-commerce market, Whenever you have any questions, problems or concerns, we are here for you all year round to address every issue and answer all your questions.


Take time out now to get in touch with our professional and experienced
team and take advantage of our services today

Frequently Asked Questions

Your Questions Answered

I want to sell in Canada, but I don’t live in Canada – How do I start?

You will have to apply for a Business Number with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and register for an Import-Export program account.

You will need to determine whether you are required by the Canadian federal and provincial government agencies to collect sales tax on your sales.

If you conclude that you have to collect sales tax, you will apply to open sales tax numbers accordingly.

Once you have those numbers, you verify the terms and conditions of the online platform you are selling from and provide them with your sales tax numbers, and you start making those sales!

How do I determine if I need to collect Federal sales tax – GST/HST

Currently, the threshold to be required by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to collect sales tax on your Canadian sales is when you are making sales of 30,000 CAD worldwide within four consecutive semesters, which do not necessarily need to align with the calendar year. 

This means that you could need to start collecting tax in the middle of a given year; it will not necessarily apply as of January 1st of a given year.

It is however not necessary to wait until you are making sales of 30,000 CAD and in some cases when selling through an online platform, the online platform will collect taxes on your sales even if you do not reach the 30,000 CAD limit. Voluntary registration is possible in most cases for non-resident sellers.

Following is the list of agencies with different sales tax requirements and a summary of some of their rules.

Gov AgencySales Tax CodeRateThresholdRequired
CRA – Canada Revenue AgencyGST/HST5% – 15%30k WW Sales Taxable supplies wWithin 12 months4 consecutive semestersOn every *Taxable  itemsupply sold, usually to a canadianCanadian within canadaCanada
MRQ – Ministère du Revenu du QuébecQST%9.975%30k Sales Taxable supplies in the province of Quebec wWithin 4 consecutive semestersa 12 month periodOn Every Taxable sale supply to a quebecQuebec resident, even if shipped from outside quebecQuebec
Gov of British ColumbiaBC PST/RST%7%From your first retail sale to a BC ConsumerOn Every Taxable retail sale made to BC
Gov of SaskatchewanSK PST/RST%6%From your first retail sale to a SK ConsumerOn Every Taxable retail sale made to SK
Gov of ManitobaMB PST/RST%7%From your first retail sale to a MB ConsumerOn Every retail sale made to MB

Are there any products that are tax-exempt?

Yes, every province has different rules of what is tax-exempt or has a different rate.

While some products are exempt from tax, some are also considered to be zero-rated.

Your seller portal might have special tax codes for all the different products that might have different rates. Click below for a complete list of exempt supplies in each province,


Are there any penalties if I don’t collect taxes?

Suppose you have made taxable supplies in Canada, and you have been above the threshold to collect taxes in any of the jurisdictions where you sold. In that case, the government can go back and audit you and charge you the whole amount you should have been collecting plus interest and penalties per their determination.

Do I need to open a new corporate entity in Canada to be able to sell in Canada?

No. You don’t have to open a new corporate entity in Canada. However, you have to register your existing business with the CRA as an NRI (Non-Resident Importer). You will get a Canadian Business Number and all the necessary Tax Accounts.

What do the different Tax codes mean?

  • GST – Goods and Services Tax = The federal sales tax when a provincial sales tax also applies or where the government has not come to an agreement with a province for HST to apply.
  • HST – Harmonized Sales Tax = The federal sales tax, when it is collected in partnership with the Provincial government further to an agreement with the federal government, it is also being filed and paid with the GST Remittance.
  • QST – Quebec Sales Tax = The sales tax the is being collected, filed, and remitted in the province of Quebec, with the MRQ – Ministère du Revenu du Québec
  • PST – Provincial Sales Tax = The sales tax is being collected, filed, and remitted to the provincial government in British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
  • RST – Retail Sales Tax = An old term sometimes used to refer to sales tax in Canada.

Do I have to include the Sales tax in the product price?

No. You do not have to include it. The Canadian Sales tax is being collected on top of the sales price and then remitted and paid back to the different government agencies.

Is there any way to get back any Sales Tax that I am paying? (Ex,: GST on imports, etc.)

Yes. The HST, GST, and QST systems are VAT (Value Added Tax) systems. That means that if you are registered and collect any type of sales tax, you can claim back that tax type if you have any expenses where you had to pay that specific type of tax. This tax claimed back is called an “input tax credit.”

With regards to PST, a mechanism exists that allows PST registrants to be exempt from PST on items purchased for resale under certain conditions, but no input tax credits on purchases are granted contrary to the HST, GST, and QST systems.

How often will I have to file my sales tax?

It will depend on your sales volume. Every government agency has a different way of determining how often you have to file and pay your taxes. In some cases, a more extended filing period can be obtained if installment payments are made throughout the period. We recommend you consult a tax advisor to get information with regards to your specific situation.

What do I stand to gain/lose by registering?

There is nothing to lose when you register! And most of the time, you have a lot to gain…

You could be able to claim back whatever GST you paid. For example, When you are importing into Canada, you pay 5% of the value imported. Under certain circumstances, when you are registered in GST and collecting GST, you could be eligible to claim this GST on imports back.

Additionally, you reduce your risk of being audited and having to pay all those taxes out of your pocket